Sunday, September 21, 2008

Women and their relationships

Last night some friends (all women) went out to eat and to see the movie, Women. Critics weren't too fond of it...

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=94421361

And I have to admit there were a couple of times I wondered if I snored...but all in all I really enjoyed it. Not because it relaxed me to the point of snoring, but because it's great to see women as supportive friends and not displayed as rivals or lovers (there were also both of these.) Which brings me to another point...


Toward the end of the movie, a friend asked about the number of gay/lesbian people there were on staff. Which has really gotten me thinking about women and relationships..whether straight, homosexual or 'just' friends. Although I didn't say so at the time...didn't say anything...other than respond to who I thought might be gay or not, it did give me a bit of a 'start'. Was she subtly asking about me? Because I'm alone...happily, have mostly women friends, aggressively support women's right to choose in more ways than abortion, and outspoken about the pitfalls of men/women relationships...hmmm. Am I protesting too much? Do I know my own sexual orientation?

Whew...I thought alot about this, and yes I can happily say I do know myself. I do prefer men. My knees tremble, my stomach churns, my body quivers (I think I'm sharing too much...I hope my kids don't read this) at the touch/thought/sight of an appealing man. I'm old but not dead and I don't believe sexual orientation changes after the age of 55, 56, 57...ok,ok...so I'll be 59 this year!

What does happen at this age, though, for me anyway, is that I have become a bit more selective. I don't go to bars and meet men...I will not and never did consider a relationship with a married man...Internet blind dates didn't work for me...Social gatherings are normally a bust...either I can't seem to get myself there or I'm uncomfortable enough that I leave early...

So maybe for me, life as it is now is life as it will be! And I'm fine with that...oh and by the way, the friends that started this conversation with myself...thank you I appreciate and value your friendships!! ;)

No comments:

Road trip 2021

 A picture review of 2021 Sister Trip. As baby of the family, I’ve committed to visiting my three older sisters as often as possible, before...