Saturday, January 10, 2009

At least do no harm..

The Dalai Lama's book identifies the main principle of Buddhist morality...to help others...and if you can't do that...at least do no harm.

My first thought was, "what the heck does that mean?" Does it mean help an older person across the street if you see one? Or how about the homeless guy you just saw leave the shelter...offer them a room? Or how about other species...mosquitoes? Offer them an arm when they are hungry? I read on, "...is mainly practiced by refraining from physical and verbal actions that cause harm." He identifies this as the "morality of individual liberation."

Ok...I'm going to try it this week...refrain from physical and verbal actions that cause harm. Dang, I've already messed that one up! I missed my hair appt. today because I didn't want to wake up my grandchild and drag him to the beauty shop when he was so blissfully sleeping. Wait...so I refrained from causing him harm...and in doing so, did harm to my hairdresser! Aaarrrgh...help!

No comments:

Road trip 2021

 A picture review of 2021 Sister Trip. As baby of the family, I’ve committed to visiting my three older sisters as often as possible, before...